The entire process is automatic.
1. Raw or cooked foods are placed in the freeze dryer where they are frozen to between -30 degrees and -50 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Once frozen, the freeze dryer creates a vacuum in the food chamber.
3. As the food is gradually warmed, the water turns to vapor and evaporates out of the food (sublimation).
4. When dry, the freeze dryer notifies the user that the process is complete by sounding an audible beep.
5. You can then remove the freeze dried food from the dryer and place it in vacuum-sealed containers that are moisture and oxygen proof (preferably a mylar pouch or a can) to ensure freshness until opened.
6. When water is added to the food, it regains its original fresh flavor, aroma, texture, and appearance!
Small Freeze Dryer
Capacity of each batch is about 1 gallon (4 to 6 lbs. of fresh food)
In a year, one can easily freeze dry 200 batches (200 gallons or 900 lbs. of food)
Medium Freeze Dryer
Capacity of each batch is about 2 gallons (7 to 10 lbs. of fresh food)
In a year, one can easily freeze dry 200 batches (400 gallons or 1500 lbs. of food)
Large Freeze Dryer
Capacity of each batch is about 3.5 gallons (12 to 16 lbs. of fresh food)
In a year, one can easily freeze dry 200 batches (700 gallons or 2500 lbs. of food)
It typically takes between 20 to 40 hours to complete the process. Food type and quantity will affect the freeze-dry cycle. Things like meat, peas and corn dry quickly, while squash and watermelon can take longer. The thickness of the food slices will affect the cycle time too.
Most importantly, your machine senses when the food is ready (alerting you with a beep) so you don’t have to guess when to stop the freeze-dry cycle.
Yes! It is a great idea to put frozen products into your freeze dryer. Your machine will accept pre-frozen foods and cool them even further, to around -40 degrees F.
You truly can freeze-dry almost anything. All kinds of fruits, vegetables and meats taste wonderful when freeze dried. That includes things like tomatoes, apples, bananas, strawberries, peaches, green beans, peppers, onions, potatoes, spinach, shrimp, pork, beef, turkey and even ice cream.
Your favorite meals that include meat may be easily freeze dried. Foods like lasagna, rice dishes, cheese macaroni, chili, beef stew, chicken a la king, casseroles, shrimp, lobster, pulled pork, pasta sauces or scrambled eggs are perfect for this process.
You will find that it is a delight to experiment with different foods and meals in your freeze dryer. A great way to start is by picking meals that are already favorites in your home.